Trying to find out where to take your next vacation? Or maybe you’ve already booked your trip to Austin and you’re wondering what should I do when I get there? In a city like Austin, it can be overwhelming to decide what you are going to make time for with so many options. To help you out we have put together a list of our favorite activities and restaurants. If you are looking for more specific recommendations ask any one of our reservationists or visit our things to do pages to find out more.
Activities In Town
- Zilker Park – South of Lady Bird Lake, Zilker Park is a 351-acre metropolitan park perfect for a picnic, sand volleyball, a jog, or just relaxing and taking in the view of the Austin skyline.
- Barton Springs Pool – Within Zilker Park, Barton Springs Pool is one of the most iconic stops in Austin. The pool is fed by underground springs with an average temperature of 68-70 degrees, making it ideal for year-round swimming.
- SUP on Lady Bird Lake – Rent a SUP or kayak from The Rowing Dock and spend an hour exploring the shoreline of Austin’s Lady Bird Lake
- SOCO – South Congress is a vibrant neighborhood south of Lady Bird Lake. South Congress oozes homespun character and is the perfect place to spend an afternoon exploring shops, people watching, and dinign at some of Austin’s best eateries.
- Breweries – Austin is becoming a destination for craft beer lovers. If you’re a fan of beer, make sure to stop by one of Austin’s many breweries. A local favorite is Jester King whose compound just outside of town is an playground for beer lovers.
- The Contemporary Austin
- Hope Outdoor Gallery – The Hope Outdoor Gallery, also called “Austin Graffiti Park” is a must-see destination for street art lovers. With a constantly changing array of artwork, the gallery is unique on any given day.
- Congress Bridge Bats – See the city’s 1.5 million Mexican Free-Tailed Bats emerge from underneath the Congress Bridge at dusk. The best vantage point for the bats is to just stand on the Congress Bridge, but there are also boats you can rent out and hills to picnic on.
Activities Outside of town:
- Hamilton Pool – If you want to get outside of town and explore the Hill Country, take a trip to Austin’s hidden gem, Hamilton Pool. This natural grotto is a great place to swim, picnic, and relax in nature.
- Longhorn Caverns
- Franklin BBQ – Franklin BBQ is an Austin BBQ staple that has won the attention of President Barack Obama, Anthony Bourdain, and foodies all around the world. Waiting lines at Franklin BBQ are an event in and of themselves. Diners line up at 7 or 8 am to earn a lunchtime seat.
- The Salt Lick – The Salt Lick is a virtual meat amusement park just outside of Austin in the hill country that perfects the art of Texas BBQ. The food is phenomenal, but the experience is the real attraction.
- Juan In A Million – Juan In A Million is every local’s favorite east side eatery. The restaurant is famous for a monumental breakfast taco called “The Don Juan”, but the rest of the menu boasts some of the best tex-mex you’ll ever eat.
These are just a few of the dining options out of so many. Check out our other recommended restaurants and you are sure to not be disappointed.