Looking for the best places to beat the Central Texas heat in Austin? Look no further. Famous for its rivers and lakes, Austin and the surrounding Texas Hill Country are bisected by its countless waterways. Whether you want to go for a swim, catch some fish, or try paddleboarding, you can find it all at the many stellar lakes in the Austin, Texas area.
5 Best Lakes in Austin, Texas
In order to make your trip seamless, the team at Walker Luxury Vacation Rentals has compiled a list of can’t-miss lakes in Austin, Texas. Make your pick of any of these local lakes and enjoy a day in the sun and out on the water.
- Lady Bird Lake in downtown Austin does not allow motorized boats, making it a great place for flat-water paddlers to take advantage of the tranquil waters all while enjoying views of the downtown skyline. This lake is perfect for canoes, kayaks, SUP, dragon boats, and even paddleboard yoga.
- Lake Buchanan is the first and largest of the Highland Lake system, created by the Buchanan Dam which is a two-mile-long hydroelectric power station. This large lake is perfect for fishing and there are plenty of beaches for swimming as well!
- Lake Austin is a family-friendly lake that, unlike Lady Bird Lake, does allow motorized boats. Popular Lake Austin activities include canoeing, kayaking, and sailing, but you can also find visitors fishing and waterskiing.
- Situated along the San Gabriel River about three miles west of Georgetown, Lake Georgetown is a perfect lake for boating, hiking, swimming, fishing, and more.
- Located northwest of downtown, Lake Travis is Austin’s largest lake and a favorite of both locals and visitors. You can enjoy boating, water skiing, and fishing, as well as scuba diving because of the immense depths (a maximum depth of 210 feet).
Luxurious Lake House Rentals in Austin
After a fun-filled making the most out of the lakes in the Austin, Texas area, unwind in your Austin vacation rental. One great thing about Walker Luxury Vacation Rentals is the variety of luxury vacation rentals that are offered. Walker offers Lake Austin and Lake Travis vacation rentals, as well as accommodations in Downtown Austin and Hill Country. No matter what you’re looking for in an Austin vacation rental, we have something for you!